You Can Do It!
You Can Do It! is designed to improve academic outcomes for late primary students by encouraging social-emotional and problem solving skills. The program aims to:
- Build the social, emotional, and motivational capacity of young people rather than focus on their problems and deficits.
- Encourage the social and emotional competence of young people by working with the strengths in their school, home and community.
You Can Do It! is included in this guidebook following recommendations from Communities That Care Mornington Peninsula.
Evidence from a number of small randomised trials shows support for this program. Studies have shown improvements in academic achievement, homework performance and academic engagement (Pina, 1996 as cited in Bernard, 2006), including specific improvements in reading and mathematics (Hudson, 1993 as cited in Bernard, 2006).
- At the planning stage Boards can request advice from the developer on how the program can be managed and monitored.
- Boards should negotiate agreements to receive regular progress reports and request to observe some sessions.
- Monitoring information should include: program coordination; satisfaction with training; and progress with implementing key components.
- Where feasible, evaluate pre-post changes in student risk and protective factors and compare against randomly assigned non-participating control schools.
CTC Ltd. will be available to assist with the design and fundraising for a controlled evaluation.
Jenny Williams (National Director)
You Can Do It!
P: (07) 3289 1478 or 1800 803 135